Image via stylefrizz.com
Trend I Missed: More colour! Many stars were wearing dark or neutral tones, often not even an appropriate match for their skin tone or hair colour. Jane Fonda was not the colour pop I was hoping for either... I would have loved to see both Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence's dresses in jewel tones instead of something that washed them out.
All in all, I was a little more than disappointed with the biggest red carpet event of the year. I had been looking forward to it all month and only came away with five dresses I loved, having to reduce my original review from a top ten to top five. At least not everyone was a disappointment! Without further ado, my top five of the night go to:
1) Kerry Washington in Miu Miu - Kerry has been coming out with strong looks throughout the 2013 awards season so it was no surprise she looked stunning on the most important night of all. While I would have liked to see a bit more of something done with her hair, the colour of her dress was a perfect match for her and I loved the embellishments.
2) Nicole Kidman in L'Wren Scott - Nicole was simply stunning in her gown of choice and while I'm not a fan of hers otherwise, I couldn't have asked for more from her Oscars look last night. The coppery sequins offset the black and were a perfect match for her strawberry hair. The dress also gave her a fantastic shape... Something that the styles of some of her fellow attendees weren't as successful at pulling off.
3) Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta - Amy's de la Renta stole my heart. While I absolutely loved this gown, she didn't make it to my top two because it wasn't right for her. Though everything was perfect about this dress, I felt the soft gray wasn't suitable for her pale skin and reddish hair (which I also didn't love the style of). A brighter colour for Amy or this one worn by someone else would have made it look my favourite of the night.
4) Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen - While Amanda's red carpet look at the Oscars didn't wow me quite as much as her stunning Givenchy at the Golden Globes, her choice of McQueen was spot on with a perfect fit and her hair styled in a soft and beautiful up-do. She told red carpet reporters she'd been working with the design team on the dress for quite some time and it paid off. She looked sophisticated and put together unlike some of the other ladies who made last minute decisions.
5) Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture - While it is no secret that I abhor Jennifer Lawrence, I certainly can't take that out on the stunning Dior she showed off on the red carpet. The fabric was beautiful and the shape was perfect, unique, and memorable. However, I did feel that the pale colour and her not-so-stand-out hair weren't complementary to the look over all.
Honourable mention goes to Sandra Bullock who wore Elie Saab. Sandra is always on the ball during awards season. The dress was beautiful and a great match for her. I would have liked to see the mismatched clutch replaced with more jewels though, and a red lip would have added a great pop of colour which she always rocks so well.