Can you believe it's 2013? Time flies by so fast and all I can do is shake my head. Where does it all go? We had a very busy holiday season over here - lots of back to back huge family gatherings, mounds of fantastic food and plenty of lovely treats and gifts. We're so blessed as far as all the loved ones we have so close. Even though it was hard on my introvert side to be so over-scheduled, I chose to focus on the positives and use up my energy for the precious time we had together. Then I slept for 4 days straight....ha!
Looking back on the year, there have been some high highs and some low lows. I'm happy to move into a bit of a fresh start. Have you made resolutions? These aren't super specific, but I've put together a few intentional plans to help guide my spending this year:
1. Allow myself to indulge in the things that bring me joy and improve my health. I really love restorative yoga classes but they come at a price and I always feel guilty about the cost. I'm going to let that go...it feels good, it's good for me and I can afford it if I make certain budget choices.
2. On that note, I'm going to really concentrate on buying less. Don't get me wrong, this shopaholic will never go cold turkey but I'm going to have to really love it to shell out the money. It's got to be figure-flattering and decent quality. Some things to help me along with this are disabling all the sale emails I receive (except from a couple of favourites), shopping less often and sticking to a monthly budget.
3. I used to really be obsessed with prints when it came to clothing. I felt they better camouflaged my bits and bumps. But truth is, a closet full of prints gets dated really fast...so I've been moving towards more solid coloured pieces I can mix and match together - then leaving the prints to scarves and other accessories. I still have plenty of print in my closet - but now I'll have more timeless pieces mixed in. (see outfit below for an example!)
4. I'm going to consciously work towards some major goals. Jack and I married in our 30's with all kinds of money stuff going on with each of us. Having someone else in my accounts scared the crap out of me! We finally sat down and made a plan to join our money, set goals and start saving together, as a couple. It feels good to make the commitment and I like having a partner to do it with.
oatmeal cardigan - Gap
cream top - Old Navy
turquoise scarf - Winners
navy knit jeggings - American Eagle
brown boots - Famous Footwear
Some other things I hope to do in 2013 that are not specifically related to money include....
- Get back slowly into furniture painting - I'm starting by working on a donation piece for a friend's wedding social raffle
- Clear out extra clutter in our house, so we'll be in a better position to sell next year
- Swap some of my coffee for tea
- Add leafy greens and new veggies to my weekly grocery list
- Go for a swim a couple of times a month
- Remember to tell my friends and family how much they mean to me whenever I can :)
How about you friends? How will you be guiding your life, home spending or style decisions this year?
Wishing you love and happiness for the coming year! Thanks for still reading, I'm glad you're here.