One of my fav NYFW pics: Carolina Herrera NYFW runway show with Vogue’s Anna Wintour looking on (Photo: M. Hall).
New York Fashion Week is just a few weeks away and editors, bloggers, fashion lovers and volunteer are all getting ready to literally put their best stiletto forward to see the shows. But with winter storms and cold weather moving in, what do you need to know to look your best but still survive the chaos and even thrive? Here are a few of my own personal tips for getting back and forth to Lincoln Center and other runway shows.
1) Pack your best warm coat and bring your heels with you to the show in a carry bag to change into. Don't totter around town slipping into puddles, snow or ice.
Leather heels and suede pumps will be weather beaten. A good sturdy umbrella is mandatory.
2) Learn the NY Subway system, especially if you are an out of towner.
If you've ever tried to hail a cab in the pouring rain, then you know, it could take a long time to get picked up by those crazy, stormswerving yellow cabbies. Sure they'll splash you, before speeding past, while you try to preserve your clothing, shoes and hair style. Check out the easy subway directions via HopStop.com. Even a fool Los Angeleno (like The Recessionista ) who is not used to public transport can figure out the mysteries of the subway with HopStop. Download HopStop from theAppstore so you can have it on your Phone. It's a life saver.
3) Carry snacks and B-12. Don't be afraid to carry supplies in that over sized bag Althea told you to bring. Pack like you are going on a trip. You need snacks, water and lots of gum laced with B-12. There is a reason some of the models are shall we say, very trim at NYFW, there is quite simply no real eating at Fashion Week.
4) Pack Starbucks VIA, the elixir of Fashion Week. This helpful caffeinated powder can be added to water, hot or cold for a little instant pick-me up.It can be a life saver, especially when you are give a "Priority Standing Ticket" and feel ready to collapse.
5) Carry your Smart Phone, Windows Phone, iPhone or Android with charging appliances.
Make sure you carry your phone charger at all times, and maybe even an extra battery in your bag. A fully charged phone is truly your Fashion Week Swiss army knife, and perhaps your most fashionable accessory. You need your synced calendar, notes, Fashion GPS app anddue to the winter sorms, your Weather Channel app ready at any time.
6) Try to score last minute NYFW tickets using the power of Social Media.
Some brands and designers give away exclusive tickets toticketlessfashionistas who are willing to come meet them in specific NYC locations, using socialclues. Locations will be disclosed via their Facebook page. Designers that have given away tickets previously include: Nicole Miller, Cynthia Rowley, Milly and Nanette Lepore. For Fall 2013, Mara Hoffman has a giveaway on now .
Have I missed anything? If you have a favorite NYFW survival tip, leave a comment for me here in the Lucky Community or send me a message on Twitter @Recessionista.