Crazy colored hair isn't just for top stars with extreme wardrobes like Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj. Celebs with a sense of style we really trust, like Nicole Richie and Kate Bosworth, have shown us that candy colored locks are completely do-able.
Here are a few ways to get the Celeb-fab looks:
1. Try colored extensions or test out a wig: It's noncommittal, fun for a night, and will give you an idea if you're ready for something more permanent.
2. Seek a hair salon with a specialist in color: Find a salon near you that offers bright colored hair dye and bring in a photo of a realistic look you'd like to achieve.
3. DIY: I recommend buying rubber gloves, a color brush (available at beauty supply store) to help with application, and a jar of petroleum jelly (apply it along your hairline so dye doesn't stain your skin). It's important to remember that while blonde hair can take dye easily, colors will appear more subtle on dark hair. Ladies with dark hair looking for really saturated color will need to lighten or bleach hair first to achieve a vibrant hue. Wear an old t-shirt and follow the instructions on the bottle and dye strategic sections or your whole head.
Once you've dyed and gone to heaven, here are a few key maintenance tips:
1. Shampoo as infrequently as possible with color-safe products, since washing will strip the dye.
2. Go easy on your makeup. Colored shadow and liner will look overkill when you have bright blue hair.
3. Adjust your wardrobe accordingly. You may have looked great in hot pink before, but you don't want your shirt to match your hair.
Need some inspiration? Check out these “to dye for” looks: