The sun shone a little brighter this week and all of a sudden the city seemed to have broken free from spring's endless showers and oozed sunshine and colour at every turn. People flocked to the green open spaces, women donned their bright floral frocks and suddenly colourful displays in all shades of the rainbow popped up everywhere. Here's a few pictures I managed to snap up before retiring myself into a lazy sun quenched lizard. While writing this post I can't help but think about the trail of destruction left behind by Frankenstorm this week. It breaks my heart to see so many deaths and damages. If you are like me sitting in the comforts of your home feeling helpless about the situation then here are a few ways you can help out.
- The largest organisation of its kind, the Red Cross is accepting donations here or call 1-800-RED-CROSS. They are also looking for volunteers to assist in shelters, more information here.
- Salvation Army is providing food and shelter to victims. Donate online or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY.
- New York Cares is the city's largest volunteer organisation. Click here to donate or sign up here to volunteer with the relief efforts.
- Global Giving has set up a Sandy relief that includes victims in the Caribbean. Click here to donate.
- The Mayor's Fund for New York is also accepting donations. Click here to donate.
Another week of friday's fancies and another yellow and blue colour inspiration. The more I look around the more I see this particular combo. I love these glazed blue subway tiles paired with the yellow lacquer. Plus a chalkboard this colourful is just begging for me to pop inside.